If you are thinking about a career as a Childminder, here is the information you will need to decide whether it is the career for you and what the first steps will be.
The documents on the right hand side of this page will give you lots of things to consider, some of the legal requirements and useful contacts.
The Pre-registration meeting is an Ofsted requirement and is meant as a no-obligation information session. The meeting covers the Ofsted requirements and registration process and the EYFS. It is also a good opportunity to ask members of the Early Years Service team any questions you might have and to meet other prospective Childminders.
If you would like to take the first step and book on to the FREE pre-registration meeting, the booking form is available to download on the right hand side. The form is a Word document so can be emailed or printed and posted back.
If you decide to go ahead with your application, you will receive details on the next steps by the end of the meeting. These will be:
- a First Steps to Childminding training course which is highly subsidised
- a paediatric first aid certificate
- a Health Declaration booklet signed by your GP (surgeries may charge)
- a DBS check for yourself and anyone in your house over 16 years old (price on application)
- public liability insurance (annual cost which varies according to provider)
- OFSTED registration (annual cost which varies depending on which registers you join)