Message from the Head
Pittville is a rapidly improving school in Cheltenham where behaviour is excellent and where students of all abilities are well supported to achieve their full potential. Yes, we are a true comprehensive school, catering for the whole spectrum of ability, and I am proud of that. We are a forward-looking school and it is our aim to unlock every young person’s potential. We are a small school and we know our students well. Because of our size we are able to personalise the learning of students in a way that other, larger schools cannot. Here at Pittville, we believe that good relationships are at the heart of a well-organised, happy, calm and respectful school environment. We believe that all students, regardless of their ability or background, should be challenged and given the opportunities to achieve the best they can.
The form tutor plays a key role in supporting students and guiding them throughout their personal and academic development here. As a secondary school, we are not complacent - we continually look at how we can improve what we do so that we offer the very best provision to our students. We inspire innovative teaching in the classroom and create a ‘can do’ ethos where participation is the norm.
I can assure parents and carers that we will support your child’s development. We can do this most effectively if you work alongside us, in partnership with our school. Your child will only achieve the best they can with your help. Enough sleep and rest, good, regular meals (in particular breakfast) setting off in good time for school, and arriving correctly kitted out. These things may seem trivial but make our job as teachers so much more straightforward. We want to hear your thoughts, ideas and feedback on any aspect of life at Pittville School. We believe in getting the basics right and for our students that means regular attendance, excellent behaviour and great efforts in the classroom. It is also important that staff get the basics right in providing a learning experience that is of the highest standard and by insisting on the highest standards of effort, attendance and behaviour. Our priority remains to work in partnership with parents and students to help them achieve the best success possible.
One of the joys of living in the local community is meeting ex students and parents. This means hearing first hand about the student who has just graduated from Cambridge or from the parent who informed me that her son’s overall experience of Pittville, both in terms of his academic results and the pastoral support he received, was far better than her daughter’s experience at another educational establishment. This for me sums up what Pittville stands for and is what makes Pittville such a successful learning environment at the centre of its local community.
Whatever your reason for finding out more about our school we look forward to welcoming you to ‘team Pittville’ where every child really does matter.
- Contact Name
- Mr R Gilpin
- Contact Position
- Head Teacher
- 01242 524787
- GL52 3JD
- Local Offer Details
In order to support the Pittville principles, the SEND Department, working in collaboration with the whole school, provides the following provision for all students:
- Initial assessments and suitable groupings
- Quality first teaching that supports students within the classroom
- Quality Information and Guidance (IAG) with regard to careers and employability
- Regular assessments of reading and spelling standardised scores in order to implement access arrangements where appropriate
- Regular assessment and monitoring via faculties
- A dedicated and highly experienced Pastoral Support team who monitor students with regard to ’Behaviour for Learning’ in order to identify issues that may impact upon academic progress and who support students and their families emotionally .
- Access to after school clubs and activities
- Access to opportunities with regard to pupil voice
- EAL support (New Arrivals Excellence Programme)
- School Nurse who is able to give health information and advice to Young People
- Work experience
In addition, some students may require
- Literacy and Numeracy interventions – this may be in the form of breakfast booster class, 1:1 individual support, or small group teaching for a specified time.
- Teaching Assistant support within the classroom
- Nurture group
- Learning Mentor (KS4) focusing on ‘Behaviour for Learning’ , self-esteem and Learning to Learn strategies
- Mentoring (for students at risk of disaffection, disengagement, and poor attendance.) The length of the intervention will be flexible due to the varying nature of difficulty
- Reading Club
- Social Skills Clubs
- EAL support (Individual and small group targeted support)
- Personalised timetable
- School nurse
- External agency involvement
- Alternative accreditation at Key stage 3 and Key stage 4: ASDAN award, Functional Skills, Level 1 Enterprise and employability, Vocational Studies, Extended project qualifications.
- Contact Name
- Miss E Bottell - SENDCo
- Contact Telephone
- 01242 524787
- Contact Email
- Links to further SEND information
Pittville School SEN Information Report
- SEN Provision Type
- Who is your service for?
- Local Offer Age Bands
11-16 (Secondary School)
16-18 (Transitions into Adulthood)
- Describe any training or experience you/your staff, have had or are having in issues around SEND?
We have a highly motivated and knowledgeable team of staff including Specialist SEN Teachers, Higher Level Teaching Assistants, Mentors, Literacy and Numeracy experts and Nurture Group co-ordinators. All staff have high expectations of students and they use their extensive subject expertise and knowledge of the pupil to promote successful learning. Teaching staff plan to make effective use of support staff therefore their impact is significant in contributing to the learning and achievement in our classrooms.
The team delivers a variety of intervention strategies including targeted classroom support, 1:1 Literacy or Numeracy support, small group intervention over a specified number of weeks, using highly structured and directed programmes, study support lessons, and study skills interventions.
- Local Offer file
Download more Local Offer details for
Pittville School here...