Skip to main content

Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP)

If a parent, young person or a school/college asks the Local Authority to carry out an EHC needs assessment, they must receive a responce to their request within 6 weeks.  To complete the EHC needs assessment, evidence must be gathered from a number of key professionals in order to make the appropriate decision.  If the request is refused, the parent/young person must be informed with reasons, and they have the right to appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.

A plan should be offered if the child or young person's needs assessment indicates that the needs are greater than a mainstream education setting can support.  Parents or the young person should name the setting they wish to attend.  It is the Local Authority's duty to ensure the necessary provision is delivered, and the plan should be reviewed at least on an annual basis.

As the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) has replaced Statements of Special Education Needs (SSEN), some pupils may still be on an existing SSENs and will need to be transferred to an EHCP in due course.

Back to top