Skip to main content

Higher Education information for students with disabilities (SEND)

What is higher education?

Higher education is the next step on from further education.  Studying at university or college, you'll work towards one of a range of qualifications such as a degree - for example a BSc - foundation degree or a diploma/certificate of higher education.

You can go into higher education at any age but many people enter when they are around 18 years old.

There is a lot of things you will need to consider if you are planning to go into higher education, and as a student with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) you'll need to give plenty of thought to:

  • Where to study
  • the support you may need whilst studying
  • support with day-to-day living
  • money and funding

It's important to make sure that you've applied for the right funding and that the right people know what you need before starting your course.  The following links and tips might be helpful for you when considering what your options are:

Support to Study

There are many things universities can do to help students with disabilities.  It is worth contacting the disability advisor or disability co-ordinator at the universities that you considering to see what support they can offer. 


Back to top