Your child will have Free School Meals if they’re in:
- Reception class
- Year 1
- Year 2
Even though your child in these year groups will receive Free School Meals, you can still make the application to ensure your child's school receives additional funding from the government.
If your child attends a state school and you are currently getting one of the following benefits, you will be able to claim Free School Meals.
- Income Support (IS)
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSAIB) (If you receive contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance you will not qualify.)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit (CTC) provided you do not receive Working Tax Credit and that your annual household income (as assessed by her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) does not exceed £16,190.
- Guaranteed Pension Credit (GPC)
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Working Tax Credit 'run on' - payment you receive for a further 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Young people who receive Income Support (IS) or Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA) in their own right are also entitled to receive Free School Meals at sixth form.
Learners who are aged 19-25 years old who have a Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) are also entitled to Free Meals.
NB: Children who attend a further education or tertiary college will need to contact them directly to request assistance.
If you have applied online for a school admission place for this September or 2 year old funding, please use the same login details.
Click here to access the online portal for applications. You will need access to an email address and your National Insurance number to hand. You will receive an instant result when applying online.
Paper copies are still available but the process will take considerably longer. Please get contact the Transport and Benefits Team if you need any assistance.
If you are entitled to Free School Meals and also have a 2 year old, you may be entitled to Achieving 2 Year Old funding at Ofsted registered childcare settings. Please see the link for further details, apply on the portal or call Family Information Service on 0800 542 0202.
If you are entitled to Free School Meals, you may also be entitled to claim Pupil Premium for your child to access additional resources at school. Please see the link for further details.