Skip to main content

Family Support and Advice

If you are worried or concerned about your child, don't panic; there may be someone who can help you - it's just a question of knowing where to start.

Do you have a 0-4 year old?
If you have a worry or concern, you can contact your local Children’s Centre, your GP, Community Midwife or Health Visitor (some contact details can be found on this site). 

Children's Centre staff are experienced in all aspects of child development, from tantrums and fussy eating to routines and play. You can discuss your worries with a family worker and they will be able to advise you on a course of action, suggest different options or just provide a listening ear.

Do you have a 5-18 year old?
If you are worried or concerned about your child, there are several organisations who may be able to offer advice and support.  A good starting place can sometimes be your child's school as they should be able to signpost you to organisations who can help. Some schools even employ support workers who may be experienced in many aspects of children's lives, such as bullying, health, behaviour, routines, play and more.  You do not necessarily have to speak to your child's teacher, but can always ask at reception to speak to any member of staff.  

Alternatively you could contact the school nurse or your GP if you felt that would be suitable.

If you are not comfortable with speaking to someone who knows you then contact the Family Information Service on 0800 542 02 02.  They are a friendly team who offer information and advice to give you options and can signpost you to people who can help.

You can use this online directory to find a lot more information about services you may need.  All you have to do is enter a key word in the search box on the home page or if select one of the categories to the right of this page and search for more information.  You could also search in the keywords box at the top of this page. 

You may also find some of the websites listed on this page useful.

Back to top