Newent Community School and Sixth Form Centre
At Newent Community School and Sixth Form Centre we are committed to creating:
- A safe, engaging and vibrant learning environment which cultivates open-minded, aspirational global citizens through a lifelong love of learning
- Partnerships within our school, local, national and international communities which empower, inspire and achieve success
Newent Community School and Sixth Form Centre is a popular and thriving comprehensive school situated on the outskirts of Newent; easily accessed by bus from surrounding villages as well as from Gloucester, Ross and Ledbury.
- Contact Name
- Alan Johnson
- Contact Position
- 01531 820550
- Newent Community School and Sixth Form Centre
- GL18 1QF
- Local Offer Details
Newent Community School and Sixth Form Centre offers a personalised approach to learning with the relevant support and challenge to maximise your child’s educational experience. The linked document outlines our approach by answering a few commonly asked questions. If you require further information please contact our ALNCo; Karen Steger email@example.com
Ms. Steger has been an ALNCo for 20 years, she holds the National Award for SENCos as well as a Diploma in Specific Learning Difficulties, the Advanced Level Draw and Talk Qualification and is a fully qualified and practicing classroom Teacher. Previously she led the Gloucestershire Traveller Education Service for over a decade and has worked as a School Counsellor. She is supported by Assistant ALNCo Victoria Barnes who is responsible for Y6/7 transition and catch-up key stage 3. The team of Teaching Assistants are practiced in working with students with a variety of need to good effect.
- Contact Name
- Ms Karen Steger
- Contact Telephone
- 01531 820550
- Contact Email
- Links to further SEND information
Newent Community School - Local Offer
- SEN Provision Type
- Who is your service for?
- Local Offer Age Bands
11-16 (Secondary School)
16-18 (Transitions into Adulthood)
- Is the building fully wheelchair accessible?
- Is there disabled changing and toilet facilities?
- Describe any training or experience you/your staff, have had or are having in issues around SEND?
All staff are regularly trained through external and internal provision in order to raise awareness of student need. Members of the Inclusion Team hold SpLD certificates as well as NVQ and teaching qualifications. Additional training regarding individual student need is held throughout the year to include key staff.
The SEN Inclusion Team has particular expertise in supporting Autism and Specific Learning Difficulties as well as in supporting students with receptive and expressive language difficulty.
The Inclusion Team has particular expertise in supporting Autism and Specific Learning Difficulties as well as in supporting students with receptive and expressive language difficulty. Teaching strategies for students with learning difficulties are communicated via internal resources for teaching staff as well as through support in the classroom and liaison with members of the Inclusion Team.
- Have any members of you/your team had experience of working with children and young people with the following disabilities/additional needs?
- a) young people with autistic spectrum disorders
- b) young people who use alternative communication methods
- c) young people with learning difficulties/disabilities whose behaviour challenges us
- d) young people with complex physical/medical requirements